“Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe” –Galileo Galilei
Mathematics equips pupils with a uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. These tools include logical reasoning, problem-solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways. We aim to inspire a genuine love of maths and help every child master mathematical concepts.
At St Mark’s we believe that children should experience consistency in the approach to quality teaching of mathematics as they move through the school so that they:
• build progressively on their existing knowledge and understanding,
• understand the links in their learning,
• fluently recall key number facts,
• express their understanding clearly,
• become confident in their ability to calculate and solve numerical problems independently in line with the expectations of the national curriculum.